Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Simplicity 2189 Brown Knit Dress and Some Exciting News!

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. I certainly did! I got to see a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years Saturday night and my boyfriend and I enjoyed an evening with no children Sunday night (a rarity since we each have two boys and unheard of for them all to be elsewhere all at the same time). My boyfriend officially popped the question (and of course I said yes).

My lovely engagement ring! It is part of a bridal set and the wedding band will 'lock' in with the engagement ring when we do get married.

It will be a few years before we actually get married, probably after I get my Bachelor's degree, but that's a good thing since I would go crazy trying to plan a wedding on top of going to school.


source: sewing.patternreview.com


I finished my first try at Simplicity 2189 (the maxi dress) and overall I am happy with it. I think I may add a bit more length next time and I adjusted the bust area on my pattern so hopefully the armholes won't gape.

Front View

Ignore the messy sewing room - I have to sweep. I did not incorporate the side seam slit as the pattern directs, because I didn't really want one, and there is no problem walking in the dress without it.

Back View


I serged all the seams, and I am feeling pretty confident with the basic overlock stitch now. I tried to use the coverstitch on the neckband, but the seam at the center back was just too bulky so I gave up after two horrid tries and just used my regular machine on the neck and armbands. I did use the coverstitch for the hem, and again I had issues at the side and center back seams, but I pushed through them (since they were a bit less bulky). I am fairly pleased at the result, even if it's wonky at the seams, it is perfect everywhere else!

Coverstitch and serged seams.

I am going to tidy up the sewing room and spend my afternoon with a book. Not sure how much sewing I will do this week, since my head is all abuzz with wedding ideas (even if it's a few years away). I am seriously contemplating sewing my wedding gown, and have a vision of what I want in my head, but I'm not sure I can draw it out. If I do manage a semi-decent sketch (or even a bad sketch that gets the idea across) I'll share it with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment