Thursday, December 27, 2012

2013 Sewing Goals

Let me start off with school stuff... I did really well this semester and am super excited (and a little nervous) to be starting at ECSU in a few weeks. Excited because I'm one step closer to graduating, nervous because everything is going to be new, and the campus is much larger and more spread out. But I'm sure I'll adjust soon enough.

I have not gotten into the sewing room since the semester ended because I got a terrible cold that knocked me on my derriere and then there was Christmas, and I absolutely must get in there and organize before I work on anything else. I did get a Fabulous Fit Fitting System from my wonderful fiance for Christmas and I am so pleased with how much it helped my dress form take on my shape - I'll post pictures after I tidy up the sewing room. I am hoping to finish the blouse I started over the summer and finish a sweatshirt for my oldest son (I made one for me and my youngest already) - which I'll post about when I get them finished.


Which leads me to the actual subject of this post...my sewing goals for the upcoming year...

I have decided I need a plan of sorts for my sewing - I have been sewing on a whim, so to speak. I decide I want to make a random item so I do, with no thought to the practicality of it or whether or not I have other pieces to wear with it. I really want to get some fundamentals made this year. As I have been looking around for a good basic list of must have items I came across Tim Gunn's 10 essential wardrobe items, and I think it is a great basic list to start with.

Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Wardrobe Items



1. Basic Black Dress

I haven't owned a basic black dress in years! Definitely need to make one.


2. Trench Coat 

I got a great trench pattern, and have been itching to make it!


3. Classic Trousers 

I do own a number of pairs of dress pants, some I made and some ready to wear - so this one is not high on my to-do list


4. Classic Shirt 

To me, this translates to a button down shirt/blouse. I have a few, but I would definitely like a few more.


5. Jeans

I own a number of pairs of jeans - all ready to wear. I have a jeans pattern I have been itching to make so, even though I don't need jeans I will be making a pair.


6. All Occasion Top/Sweater (This one is technically a cashmere sweater on the list)

To me, this means a top that can be worn with a skirt, slacks, or jeans. I have many tops that I would classify as such (and sweaters!) but I have a gorgeous sweater knit that I can't wait to cut into.


7. Skirt

Another item I have a fair amount of. But they are usually simple and quick to make so I will most likely make at least one skirt this year, even if it doesn't make my 'must make' list.


8. Day Dress 

Something that is not all fancy, but is could work for a date night. I have a few dresses that would qualify as a day dress, but I will probably make a dress that fits this category anyways.


9. Jacket/Blazer 

I have been wanting to make a blazer for some time, and I recently acquired a fabulous boucle I have been eyeing for months that I have every intent of turning into a jacket/blazer.


10. Sweatsuit Alternative

To me, this means something comfortable, yet put-together. I don't own any leggings, and have been meaning to make a pair, so leggings and a simple knit top is what I'm thinking for this.



I also have a few items I would consider essential/fundamental...

1. Bolero/Shrug

Something to put on over a dress, or cami, or sleeveless top, that isn't a jacket or sweater, and works well year-round. I'm always wanting something to put on as a cover up without necessarily grabbing a sweater or jacket.

2. Evening/Cocktail Dress

Something to wear to a party, wedding, on a special night out, whatever. I have a few nice dresses, but I would like something extra special.

3. Basic Knit Tops (not a shapeless T-Shirt)

A knit shirt - short sleeve, long sleeve, sleeveless...casual or dressy. I haven't made many knits items for myself, so this is definitely something I may do.

4. Three-Piece Suit

A coordinating blazer, pants, and skirt - preferably in black or dark gray. I have mismatched pieces in my closet, but not a full coordinated set.

5. Shells/Camisoles

Simple, basic, and a staple in my wardrobe. They are great with a pair of jeans, under a jacket or shrug, under a top with a low neckline, etc. 


So my sewing goal for 2013 is Sewing With A Purpose - Wardrobe Basics. I want to make some classic and basic wardrobe staples. I'm going to think a little more on what items I most need and chose 10 to make for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment