Friday, October 12, 2012

Tiered Maxi Skirt

I have been craving a tiered maxi skirt...so I got some fabric at Joann's - on sale, of course.

Silky prints for dresses

For the skirt

Knit remnants

The teal and black butterfly print (and yes - there are sparklies on it!) and the pink and black floral will be dresses eventually. The purple stripe is what I made my skirt from. It is kind of sheer, so as I waited in line at the cutting table I poked through the remnants and found two thin knits as potential attached slips. Either would have worked - there was just enough ivory, so I chose it for this one, the white had more than enough, so I'm saving it for a future project.

I spent a few minutes tidying the sewing room (which has become a catch-all since the semester started) and I converted my serger from cover stitch to serge again. Then I spent a little bit of time here and there working on the skirt, and a few days later - viola!


It took about 2 yards of the purple stripe (I still have 1.25 yards left - I bought what was left on the bolt) and 0.67 of a yard of the knit for the attached slip. I did a baby hem and I serged all the seams - and even figured out how to serge 'in the round', between the tiers.


I absolutely love it! And I'm thinking I will probably finish up the silver blouse that I started over the summer in the next few weeks, as long as I keep on top of my homework and don't let myself get lost in the sewing room.

No comments:

Post a Comment