Monday, December 3, 2012

"Free" Drawing for Studio Art

Unfortunately, I have not gotten into my sewing room as I had planned. It's the end of the semester and, as usual, there are a million things I need to get done. As much as I hope to get some sewing done, it's very unlikely to happen until after the semester is over, but there are only two more weeks left, so its almost done.

One assignment that took up more time than I had thought was my free drawing for art. This was the project we could do anything we wanted, it just had to be at least 15"x22" and we could only use paint or graphite. I had originally considered a still life with a wine theme, but came across a few pictures of images reflected in a wine glass when I was looking for inspiration. So I took a ton of photos and ended up drawing Chapman Falls at Devil's Hopyard.



I am really pleased with my drawing, although I doubt I will ever use graphite on such a large scale again (the drawing itself is 19"x25") - very time consuming, and graphite doesn't move and respond like charcoal and pastels do (my preferred medium for drawing). This picture doesn't really do the drawing justice - there are more variances in the value than this shows, but my scanner can't copy a drawing this size so the pic will have to do.

For reference, here is my drawing next to my reference picture... My goal wasn't to recreate the picture, but to make it recognizable as Chapman Falls without all the extra distractions in the photo. And I think I accomplished that rather well.




No comments:

Post a Comment