Monday, December 31, 2012

More Wedding Dress Thoughts and Ideas

A while back I shared my general idea for my wedding dress. My overall idea is still the same, but I am thinking of approaching it differently. For reference, here is my sketch again...



Rather than a form-fitting corset top I am thinking I want to use New Look 6020 as the basis of the main part of the dress. I can lengthen the skirt panels, add an extra center front panel to overlap and gather up and use the sweetheart neckline bodice (view D). I can also alter the back to insert an invisible zipper there rather than on the side - or maybe just keep it on the side, I'm undecided on zipper placement, but I do know I don't want lacing or buttons as the dress closure. I'm also thinking about possibly doing some simple beading at/along the neckline.


Then for the underskirt I am thinking I can use Simplicity 5006 (view B). And if I am feeling exceptionally brave and daring I may even make the corset. For the underskirt, I am still undecided whether I want to overlay it with lace or some other sheer fabric, but I still want it to be a dark purple color like plum or eggplant.



With this combination I think I can get the fullness I'm looking for in the skirt, without it being all full and ball gown-ish. I won't have to draft my own skirt panels, just lengthen the ones with the pattern to floor length, I won't have to draft a petticoat or the underskirt either. I'll also have to check the hem circumference of the two skirts and make sure they will work together, or alter one so that they do. I plan on making one or two dresses with NL 6020, and potentially even with the sweetheart neckline, so I'll not only have practice with the main dress pattern, I'll also hopefully have resolved any fitting issues I may have. And, overall, if it works the way I am hoping and thinking it will, the dress will still have the same general idea that I am looking for as far as shape and style goes.

So I need to purchase the Simplicity pattern, but I already have the New Look, and I will sit on this idea until I have made a dress from NL 6020 and can see how it fits and falls on me. The more I look at this combination, the more I like this approach over my original thought. I do have 2+ years to do this, but I definitely don't want to wait until the last minute or get into it without a plan.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment