Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wardrobe Planning + More Sewing Goals for 2013

As I mentioned in my last post, I want to sew with a plan (SWAP) and work on wardrobe basics this year.
These are the 10 items I want to try and to make....

1. Black Dress
2. Trench Coat
3. Evening/Cocktail Dress
4. Day Dress
5. Bolero/Shrug
6. Jeans
7. Jacket/Blazer
8. Sweatsuit Alternative
9. All Occassion Top
10. Classic Shirt



I also wanted to make a list of goals (beyond SWAP) for my sewing for the upcoming year.

1. Create items from my SWAP list and that fit my overall theme of Wardrobe Basics

I won't beat myself up over this one, but I really do want the majority of my sewing (for me) to fall within my SWAP


2. Learn to make my own bras and panties

I just would truly love to be able to eventually have a wardrobe of mostly me-made items and to do so, these items need to be conquered - it seems that they are fairly quick to make once you get the process down

3. Organize my sewing room and keep it organized

During the semester I have a horrible habit of letting my sewing room become a catch-all, which prevents me from sewing when I have time to do so, because I don't have the time to tidy up and then sew

4. Sew at least once a week, but ideally 30-60 minutes daily

I know there will be days, and weeks even, that I just won't have time to sew (finals week for example), but if I can get in there regularly I will get items done

5. Start figuring out my wedding dress

If I'm going to make my dress, I need to figure out what I'm doing - so some time must be dedicated to this

6. Attend a sewing expo

This one is a very dear hope of mine! I came across two expos that aren't too far from me - one in MA in April that I could commute to and another in DC in May that I could drive to, but would definitely want to stay the whole weekend if I did. So if I can swing the expense, time, childcare, and whatever else - I desperately want to attend one or both (though that's unlikely), even if it's just going for one day in MA

7. Use fabric and patterns from my stash

I've bought the patterns and the fabrics...it's about time I start using them!

8. Don't buy any new fabrics or patterns without a purpose

I have a habit of saying "Ooooh pretty!" and then buying on a whim (well, kind of, I do wait for sales) and I want to try to change that into me asking myself if I really need it, what I'm using it for, etc.

9. Participate on Pattern Review

I have been lurking on PR for some time now, and I have meant to write reviews for patterns I've done, but I just haven't gotten around to it and I would like to start actively participating on that site.


Here is what I am thinking/planning for the 10 items on my SWAP list...

Black Dress


I am envisioning a sheath dress, but since I don't have any suitable fabric in my stash, I am keeping a slightly open mind and plan to let the fabric I ultimately chose 'tell' me what pattern I should use.

Patterns:

Fabric:
need to purchase...maybe a shantung?


Trench Coat


I have been itching to get started on this pattern since I got it. I have the fabric I need, but no buttons yet - and it takes quite a few buttons (I think I need 12 x 1" and 1 x 5/8"). I also plan to add an interior welt pocket to the jacket as long as I don't get lost in the process of making it and forget to add it!

Patterns:

Fabric:
Gray Moleskin + Pink Flannel-Backed Satin (stash)



Evening/Cocktail Dress


I already know exactly what pattern and fabric I am using for this piece, I just need to decide on which bodice I want to use - I'm torn between the sweetheart and the square neckline.

Patterns:

Fabric:
Teal Butterfly Silky Print (stash)



Day Dress


I have a number of fabrics in my stash that I want to make into dresses that would fit this category, so it is a matter of deciding which fabric to use, and then choosing a pattern based on the fabric.

Patterns:

Fabric:
Teal Tropical Cotton (stash) [princess seam dress]
Purple Shantung (stash) [shirt dress]
Pink & Black Floral Silky (stash)


Bolero/Shrug


This is one I need to get fabric for. I'm thinking a basic solid color  - black most likely.

Patterns:

Fabric:
need to purchase


Jeans


I only have one piece of denim in my stash, so that is what I will be making my jeans from, I just need to decide on the style of jeans I want...flared, boot, or straight...

Patterns:

Fabric:
Dark Denim (stash)



Jacket/Blazer


These was a boucle fabric at Joann's I had been eyeing for months but is normally $30/yard. It finally went on sale for 60% off after Christmas, so I grabbed it and it will be perfect for a blazer.

Patterns:

Fabric:
Purple & Black Boucle (stash)



Sweatsuit Alternative


I've got a great striped knit for a top and black spandex for some leggings, which I think fills this category perfectly, it's just a matter of exactly which top I'll make from the two patterns below, or combination thereof.

Patterns:


Fabric:
Striped Knit for top (stash)
Black Spandex Knit for leggings (stash)



All Occasion Top/Sweater


I got a gorgeous sweater knit which I specifically got the pattern below for - it will make a great cowl neck sweater.

Patterns:

Fabric:
Sweater Knit (stash)



Classic Shirt


I have a few different pieces in my stash suitable for making a blouse - it's simply a matter of which I make into one first.

Patterns:

Fabric:
Sheer Black Floral (stash)
Purple Stripe Cotton (stash)
Purple Stripe Silky Sheer (stash)



I'm hoping to finish one piece every 5 weeks or so, which would give me all 10 before the end of the year. If I don't meet my goal I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but at least it gives me a direction with my sewing, and I am super excited to get some of these pieces made! I'm also adding a tab to my blog where I'm (hopefully) going to keep track of my progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment