Friday, May 4, 2012

Hello...again

I had started this blog about two years ago and, in spite of my good intentions, I rarely made any posts. I decided I want to try this again, from scratch....

A Little Bit About Me

I'm Kelly, a mother and full time college student with a love for fabric and, more recently, yarn. I first learned to sew when I was about 12, but it wasn't until about four years ago that I really began to get into sewing again. Other than some basics on how to use a sewing machine, making some basic quilt blocks, and one very ugly pair of shorts made in middle school home ec., I am completely self taught. And just last year I began teaching myself to crochet. Unfortunately, during the school year, sewing, and all other forms of crafting, are pushed to the back burner.

I am currently going to school full time, working towards a B.S. in Mathematics and my Secondary Teaching Certification. I am one semester away from my AS in General Studies (boring I know, but it allowed me the most flexibility with the courses I could take) and then I am transferring to ECSU, where I will hopefully be able to complete the requirements for both my degree and certification within 3 1/2 years after transferring. I will also, eventually, get my Masters, but that is even further down the line. It's still a long road, but I am very excited to be approaching that first milestone!

What I Want From This Blog

I want to document my successes (and failures) and hope that in time I can look back and see growth in my abilities and techniques as a sewer. I want to try and give myself some goals and deadlines so that I make more time for sewing (or other crafts). I truly love the process of creating and hope that I can reward myself with time to enjoy my craft even during the demands of the school year. I'd also like to improve my photography skills...I did take some classes back in high school, but I'm afraid that I don't remember all that much from them, but I do know I have horrible lighting in my house, so please bear with my pictures when I post them. Also be warned that random posts may appear about school or my life in general.



I want to end each post, or just a once a week round up post, with something along the lines of a 'projects completed,' a 'works in progress,' and a 'projects to do' list, just to keep track of how much I actually have (or have not) done, this may or may not change in the future...so here is my current list that I hope to start tackling within the next two weeks - finals week is coming up so I must not allow myself to get sidetracked in the sewing room just yet!


Projects Completed

None!

Works in Progress

Purse (for my very patient sister) - my own design - black & white cotton butterfly print

Projects To Do

Pants - Vogue 2907 view B - grey suiting in stash
Dress - Coffee Date Dress, free Burda pattern - black/white silky print in stash
Peasant Top or Circle Shirt - pattern not chosen - teal paisley print in stash
Pants - Vogue 2907 view A - green suiting in stash
Purse (for a very deserving friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Men's Bi-Fold Wallet (requested by a friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen
Purse (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Wallet (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Dress - Simplicity 3506 view A - black/purple silky print in stash
8 Gore Skirt - self drafted pattern - cream suiting in stash
Top - princess seam bodice - red silky solid in stash
Bolero - Simplicity 3921 view ? - green velvety fabric in stash
School Bag/Backpack - my own design - no fabric chosen (decorator suede or a faux leather possibly)
Black & White Patchwork Maxi Skirt - summer swing skirt tutorial from Moda - no fabrics chosen
Top - Vogue 2987 top - multi-colored knit/jersey/stretchy in stash
Jacket - Vogue 2987 jacket - no fabric chosen
Dress - New Look 6020 view ? - no fabric chosen





No comments:

Post a Comment