Friday, May 11, 2012

Preview of Next Week


So the semester is this close to being over...I have one last take home final to complete and submit on Monday, then I am free from homework and textbooks, for a few months at least. And that means I get to play in my sewing room. Although, I should probably tidy it up a bit before I go making more of a mess in there.

Quite some time ago (a year, maybe even two years ago), a friend asked me if I could make her a pair of sandals that wouldn't hide any of the tattoo on her foot. I had visions of playing with leather, but could not find a small piece of soling leather and we did not want to invest in a huge piece for two pairs of sandals (of course I would need a pair too). The project eventually slipped my mind. Then, a couple weeks ago, I came across this tutorial (while distracting myself from some homework assignment) and was reminded of the sandals I never made. Yesterday, I was wandering around Wal-Mart and JoAnn's between exams and got some goodies to make myself a test pair, as well as fabric for a patchwork skirt like this one. Today, I may be taking advantage of the pattern sale at JoAnn's. If not, I will make my way there this weekend. Here's a peek at what I picked up yesterday...


Over the summer I would really love to get some clothes made for me that I truly love AND fit well. In the past, I rarely bothered with messing with a pattern at all, I would cut my size and sew it as is. I have never made a muslin, and in a number of the dresses I've made it shows in the fit of the bodice. I have been fortunate with pants so far, but I want to concentrate on making well fitted garments, which means I can't just charge in head first (which is my preferred method). If I can get a proper dress form, I want to try some draping. I've watched a few videos of people creating on the dress form and am in awe. I would also like to get more comfortable with my serger, which I got right before this school year began, so I haven't had much opportunity to play with it.

I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day weekend, and I'm hoping to have something of substance to post next week!

Projects Completed

None!

Works in Progress

Purse (for my very patient sister) - my own design - black & white cotton butterfly print

Projects To Do

Black/Purple/Grey Patchwork Maxi Skirt (for me) - summer swing skirt tutorial from Moda - FQ's and strips now in stash
Sandals (for a friend, but starting with a test pair for me) - inspired by an etsy tutorial
Pants - Vogue 2907 view B - grey suiting in stash
Dress - Coffee Date Dress, free Burda pattern - black/white silky print in stash
Peasant Top or Circle Shirt - pattern not chosen - teal paisley print in stash
Pants - Vogue 2907 view A - green suiting in stash
Purse (for a very deserving friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Men's Bi-Fold Wallet (requested by a friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen
Purse (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Wallet (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Dress - Simplicity 3506 view A - black/purple silky print in stash
8 Gore Skirt - self drafted pattern - cream suiting in stash
Top - princess seam bodice - red silky solid in stash
Bolero - Simplicity 3921 view ? - green velvety fabric in stash
School Bag/Backpack - my own design - no fabric chosen (decorator suede or a faux leather possibly)
Top - Vogue 2987 top - multi-colored knit/jersey/stretchy in stash
Jacket - Vogue 2987 jacket - no fabric chosen
Dress - New Look 6020 view ? - no fabric chosen


No comments:

Post a Comment