Friday, May 18, 2012

Some Sandals, A Purse, And Other Random Bits


I did not get much as sewing accomplished this week as I had hoped to, but I did tear apart my sewing room and then (mostly) reorganized and rearranged it. I definitely like the set up now. It felt crowded before, where now I feel like I have room to move.

My serger (pictured below) is behind me in this pic

These pictures don't show the whole room, there is an ironing board to the right of the serger, and to the left of the sewing machine is a pile of empty boxes I need to break down...I did say I got it mostly reorganized.

My sewing 'nook' is behind me in this pic

I did finish my test pair of sandals. They worked out pretty well I think. I will post a tutorial for how I did them sometime next week.


I also (finally) finished the purse I told my sister I would make for her well over a year ago. She's been a sport and has not harassed me about it once, so I think she was definitely deserving of me doing it before I got elbow deep in projects for me. In my own defense, I did start it last summer, but did not manage to finish it before the Fall semester started, and over the winter break, the only sewing I did was Christmas gifts.

The inside...this purse has lots of pockets

I absolutely love the fabric, and wish I had gotten more at the time (it was a Wal-Mart fabric that was available for only one or two seasons about two years ago). It would make a really lovely dress or skirt. Oh well, I do have just enough to make myself a wallet, and a new wallet for me is on my to-do list...

I told you there was a pile of boxes over there - ignore them

Do you see what the purse is hanging on??? I finally got a proper dress form. It was a Mother's Day gift, and I love it. I followed the suggestion of a comment on Amazon and set the bust smaller than my actual size, then added a padded bra to give the bust area a truer to life look and sizing. With the bra, the bust is the proper size and isn't too wide along the back. I also 'dressed' her so that if I need to pin in the gaps from sizing the form I would be able to do so. I will probably get a mock neck specifically for her and fit it with princess seams, but that's a project for another day. She needs a name....not quite sure what I should call her yet...

I did get the fabric I have for my patchwork skirt cut, but I decided I need a little bit more fabric for it to fit comfortably, so it's been put on hold. I also got the main fabric cut out for one pair of pants I am making from Vogue 2907. I want to say the fabric I cut is a grey suiting, it looks grey next to the green suiting I have.


On its own, I think it looks like it has a hint of green, but it could just be the horrid lighting in the sewing room. Either way, I don't have a large enough piece of anything I like in my stash for the lining fabric for this pair, so another project on hold. But, I am making my way to JoAnn's today for this week's pattern sale, so I should be able to get the fabric I need.

Speaking of patterns, I did get to last week's sale and got four patterns -

McCall's 3129
M3129
Source: mccallpattern.mccall.com

McCall's 4769
M4769
Source: mccallpattern.mccall.com

Vogue 8772
V8772
Source: voguepatterns.mccall.com


Vogue 8788
V8788
Source: voguepatterns.mccall.com


Projects Completed

Sandals (test pair - for me)
Purse (for my very patient sister)

Works in Progress

Purse (for my very patient sister) - my own design
Black/Purple/Grey Patchwork Maxi Skirt (for me) - summer swing skirt tutorial from Moda
Pants - Vogue 2907 view A

Projects To Do

Black/Purple/Grey Patchwork Maxi Skirt (for me) - summer swing skirt tutorial from Moda - FQ's and strips now in stash
Sandals (for a friend) - inspired by an etsy tutorial
Pants - Vogue 2907 view A - grey suiting in stash
Dress - Coffee Date Dress, free Burda pattern - black/white silky print in stash
Peasant Top - Modern sewing patterns free pattern 5300 - teal paisley print in stash
Pants - Vogue 2907 view A - green suiting in stash
Purse (for a very deserving friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Men's Bi-Fold Wallet (requested by a friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen
Purse (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Wallet (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Dress - Simplicity 3506 view A - black/purple silky print in stash
8 Gore Skirt - self drafted pattern - cream suiting in stash
Top - princess seam bodice - red silky solid in stash
Bolero - Simplicity 3921 view ? - green velvety fabric in stash
School Bag/Backpack - my own design - no fabric chosen (decorator suede or a faux leather possibly)
Top - Vogue 2987 top - multi-colored knit/jersey/stretchy in stash
Jacket - Vogue 2987 jacket - no fabric chosen
Dress - New Look 6020 view ? - no fabric chosen


No comments:

Post a Comment