Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blouse Turned Dress ~ Vogue 8772

I finished this dress almost a week ago, but I just got around to taking pictures of it.

This dress is the inspiration for the dress I made. I knew the fabric I had did not have the same drape as the original and I wasn't looking to replicate it exactly, I just wanted something kind of similar.

Cargo dress
source: venus.com

I used Vogue 8772 (view E).

V8772
source: voguepatterns.mccall.com


The changes I made were to not add side vents, move the button placement a bit, secure the overlap below the bottom button, and add two ruffles to the bottom.

front view

back view


side view

Sorry about the washed out pictures, not sure why they came out that way.

I am not totally sold on this dress only because of the 'stiffness' of the cotton fabric on the upper ruffle. I'm going to wash it a time or two, and hope it softens the fabric enough so the top ruffle isn't as poofy as it currently is. I may also top stitch the ruffle down to see if that helps at all, but I'm going to see what washing will do first.

If I can't tame the ruffle, I'll probably end up chopping them off and making it a blouse. I also now know that I don't need any alterations to this pattern for a good fit and I can cut into my more expensive fabric I had gotten to make a blouse out of this pattern. If I was to try and make a dress like this again I would probably only add the bottom ruffle.

Now that the end-of-the-school-year madness is done I'll have more time to spend in the sewing room, the past couple weeks have been crazy with all the extra activities going on for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment