Friday, June 1, 2012

Weekly Round Up - 6/1


As I predicted I didn't get much sewing done. I finished a knit dress using Simplicity 2189. I have enough fabric left to make a sash/belt for the dress if I want.



I also finished the draped/cowl tank I had started last week, which was inspired by this tutorial. I added arm bands to the armholes, which I made a bit smaller then the actual arm holes. This helped the gaping some, just not as much as I had hoped. Overall, I am happy with the top and will definitely wear it.

Front View

Back View

I didn't serge the seams in the top, but I did serge the neckband and then folded it over and stitched it down. I also used the coverstitch on the hem, and it worked better than my first attempt on the dress, but even with less bulk at the seams it still gave me trouble going over the seam area. It seems that there is too much pressure being applied by the presser foot, and I am not sure if there is any way to adjust that.

You can barely see the difference in the stitches over the seam area, but they are definitely closer together.


Next week I have at least two, if not more, super simple and quick shirred dresses to make for my niece (her birthday party is next weekend) and one or two for a friend's niece (she asked me oh so nicely when she heard about my niece's dresses and I couldn't say no). There is some Hello Kitty fabric among the shirred fabric at my local Wal-Mart, so all I have to do is a single back seam or two side seams and possibly attach straps.

My oldest has been asking me to make him a shirt for a while now, and recently asked if I could get it done before the end of the school year, so that will have to happen next week or the week after. My biggest problem with his request is he is between boy's and men's pattern sizing, so I will have to go some grading to make it work.

I am getting together with the friend I am making sandals for next week to get the necessary supplies/materials. Another friend has a birthday at the end of the June and I really want to make her a purse, so there are a number of projects for others I need to get to work on.

Projects Completed

Maxi Dress - Simplicity 2189
Knit drapey tank - inspired by Morning by Morning's drapey tank tutorial

Works in Progress

Knit drapey tank - inspired by Morning by Morning's drapey tank tutorial

Projects To Do

Shirred Dresses (for the little girls princesses) - no pattern - shirred fabric (need to buy)
Men's Shirt (for son #1) - no pattern chosen - no fabric chosen
Sandals (for a friend) - inspired by an etsy tutorial
Purse (for a very deserving friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Blouse - Vogue 8772 - red cotton print in stash
Shirt Dress - McCall's 4769 - camo floral silky in stash
Tee Shirt - Butterick 5215 - blue and grey knit in stash
Maxi Dress - Simplicity 2189 - tan knit print in stash
Maxi Dress - Simplicity 2189 - floral knit in stash
Blouse - Vogue 8772 - grey silky solid in stash
Shirt Dress - McCall's 4769 - purple poly shantung in stash
Dress - Coffee Date Dress, free Burda pattern - black/white silky print in stash
Peasant Top - Simplicity 3956 - teal paisley print in stash
Pants - Vogue 2907 view A - green suiting in stash
Men's Bi-Fold Wallet (requested by a friend) - my own design - no fabric chosen
Purse (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Wallet (for me) - my own design - no fabric chosen yet
Dress - Simplicity 3506 view A - black/purple silky print in stash
8 Gore Skirt - self drafted pattern - cream suiting in stash
Top - princess seam bodice - red silky solid in stash
Bolero - Simplicity 3921 view ? - green velvety fabric in stash
Top - Vogue 2987 top - multi-colored knit/jersey/stretchy in stash


No comments:

Post a Comment