Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Wedding Dress Sketch And Ideas

So I was looking through my new patterns, just glancing through the instructions, and I realized that the Project Runway pattern I got has a fashion figure (croquis) that you can use to 'create a look'. I was ecstatic - this was exactly what I needed to get a decent sketch of my basic wedding dress idea.



So I traced the figure and did a simple sketch of what I am currently envisioning making. But before I show you my sketch, let me show you the inspiration for it...

I saw this sketch when I was browsing fashion sketch pictures a few months ago and instantly fell in love with the skirt, but I'm not a fan of the bodice, the tied back, or the fullness of the skirt.

Wedding Dress Patterns
source: weddingdresseslux.com

Then, browsing on SewingPatterns.com, I came across this top and thought that would make a great corset top for a dress.

source: sewingpatterns.com


After getting engaged, I looked at the first dress sketch again and thought that I could use the corset top as the bodice and change the closure to a center back zip or hook and eyes or buttons (I haven't decided on that yet). The skirt should be easy enough to draft without a pattern. So here is my rough sketch of the two combined...



I don't really think I want a white dress, though I do want the main dress to be an off-white like ivory or champagne or something. I am thinking I want the underskirt to be plum or eggplant or a similar dark purple color and possibly overlaying the purple with some lace. This is some lace I came across that could work...

OLG0866B2 Ivory
source: housefabric.com


I would definitely need to do a muslin to see if I can make it how I am imagining it. I may need to make a few petticoats or crinolines (is there a difference between the two?) as well to see if I can find the right amount of fullness if the dress and underskirt alone aren't going to provide it. I will most likely make a top that has lace over a dark purple satin to see what the combination looks like on a finished garment, as well as a few other 'tester' pieces before doing a full muslin of the dress. I am glad I have plenty of time, so I can play with the possibility of sewing my gown, and hopefully enjoy the whole process without feeling overly pressured or stressed about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment