Saturday, June 9, 2012

Potato Dill Salad ~ for a crowd

I know I don't usually post recipes, but there are a few that I plan on sharing, and this is one of them...

This is the dish I am always asked to bring to a cookout. If I make any less than 10 pounds it is gone before I know it. Since I was making a batch for my niece's birthday BBQ I thought I would share the recipe.




Potato Dill Salad

This is best made at least a day in advance. After cooking, the hot potatoes are tossed with half of the dressing, and then they get the remaining half after cooling. It is easy enough to halve or quarter the recipe for a smaller batch (there are 4 Tbsp in 1/4 cup)


Ingredients


10 pounds Potatoes, diced and peeled (if you prefer)
1 large Red Onion, chopped
3 cups Mayonnaise
1 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/4-1/2 cup Dill Weed
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions


Put diced potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water, until the water is 1-2 inches above the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat (takes 30-40 minutes approximately), and then cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Be sure to skim the foam off the top as it accumulates.

While the potatoes are cooking, mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. I add the dill weed, a few tablespoons at a time, until the dressing looks right. I add salt and pepper to it until it tastes right. I usually over-salt a little bit because the potatoes suck up a bit of the saltiness. Refrigerate until needed.



When the potatoes have finished cooking, drain them. Add about 1/3 of the potatoes to the container for the salad, then add a few spoonfuls of dressing, then add the next 1/3 of the potatoes and another few spoonfuls of dressing, and top with the last of the potatoes and enough of the dressing so that you still have about 1/2 of the dressing left. Put the remaining dressing back into the refrigerator.

Carefully toss the potatoes, until they are evenly coated with the dressing. The hot potatoes are going to absorb the dressing. If you put all the dressing on them hot they would end up being dry, it you put all the dressing on them cold, they won't absorb as much flavor.



Allow the potatoes to cool (I leave mine on the counter for a while, before putting them in the fridge). After they have fully cooled, toss them with the remaining dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve (I prefer to let it set overnight).



Make sure you get a plate....this stuff disappears...and ENJOY !!!






No comments:

Post a Comment